It’s been over a year now since I moved out of my family’s home, once I got married. Although it feels like it’s been forever! Previously I lived out of home when I stayed at college for a year, but other than that I’ve grown up and lived with my family the entire time.
There are definitely things I miss most and least about not living at home anymore. And by “home” I mean my family’s house. Can’t break the habit of calling it that, even though I have a house of my own now!
What I miss most about living at home
- The fam – the parents, sis and bro. They’re all cool, and I miss having them around all the time. Perhaps it was annoying for them, but I liked just chatting about anything and everything with them all the time. Bit harder to do that now!
- The doge – despite being annoying sometimes when he won’t leave you alone and just wants to play all the time…he’s pretty entertaining. Bonus points for having other family members doing the dirty work like picking up after him and cleaning, etc.
- Meals – I’m half Filipino and I really miss my Filo food because I haven’t yet learned how to cook it like my dad does! Also having healthy and yummy home-cooked dinners every night from the parents. Probably something I took for granted a bit too much…realising this now that I’m needing to fend for myself.
- Cheap – once you have your own place, whether it’s through renting or owning your own house, you really realise all the expenses that come along with it! From bills, to maintenance, to mortgage/rent payments, the list goes on…and it’s not cheap, that’s for sure. I’m so glad I made the effort to save lots of my earnings while living at home, because it’s much harder to do that now!
Things I don’t miss about living at home…
- Having to get out of PJs during the day, otherwise risk parents scolding me about it haha! Now I can always wear whatever I like, whenever I like
- Not being able to organise and decorate the house the way I’d want to, aside from my bedroom. Now in my own house I can do what I want!
Honestly, there’s not a lot that I don’t miss about living back at home. Things were always pretty great, and I was very fortunate to be so well taken care of there!
If you no longer live in your family’s home – what do you miss most/least about living elsewhere? I’m interested to know how others feel about this!